National Gaucher Foundation’s (NGF) medical liaison Saul Yanovich, MD, is a professor of medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He has practiced medicine since 1969 and is board-certified in internal medicine, hematology and medical oncology. Dr. Yanovich has served as director of several bone marrow transplantation programs at prominent medical institutions and is currently director emeritus of the University of Maryland Medical Center’s Blood and Marrow Transplantation Program.
Dr. Yanovich’s Early Career
Dr. Yanovich earned his MD at the Javeriana University School of Medicine in Bogotá, Colombia in 1970. His post-doctoral training included internships in Colombia and Chicago, a residency at the University of Miami Hospitals and a fellowship at Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Yanovich spent more than 15 years as a faculty member at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in Richmond in the division of hematology/oncology. At VCU, he served as:
- Director of the clinical fellowship program in the division of hematology/oncology
- Vice chairman in the division of hematology/oncology
- Director of clinical research for the Massey Cancer Center
- Director of the Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit
During this time, Dr. Yanovich was also a staff physician at the McGuire Veterans Administration (VA) Hospital in Richmond.
Dr. Yanovich’s Recent Accomplishments
From 2000 to 2005, Dr. Yanovich served as medical director for the Adult Bone Marrow Transplantation Program at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C. He was the clinical director of the University of Maryland Medical Center’s Blood and Marrow Transplantation Program from 2005 to 2014, and still serves as director emeritus of that program.
Dr. Yanovich is a member of several scientific, honorary and professional societies that include:
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Hematology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- International Society for Cellular Therapy
Dr. Yanovich has dedicated his professional career to blood and bone marrow transplantation and uncovering new insights into effective treatment for blood disorders. He has conducted research in multiple clinical trials, including as lead investigator.