In 1993, the National Gaucher Foundation (NGF) recognized the need for financial assistance in the Gaucher community. We created the National Gaucher CARE Foundation (NGCF) to help relieve this financial burden. The NGCF provides financial assistance for people with Gaucher disease and their families through the CARE and CARE+ Programs.
Assistance is available to patients with Gaucher disease who live in the United States and can demonstrate extraordinary financial hardship in paying for eligible Gaucher-related expenses. It does not matter which drug your physician has prescribed, or whether you are currently on therapy.
The NGCF’s CARE Program offers assistance with insurance premiums. This program helps patients and families pay for insurance premiums. Eligible insurance premiums include:
- Primary or secondary insurance premiums (or both)
- Medical premiums
- Dental premiums
- Vision premiums
The NGCF may provide assistance in paying either single or family premiums. There is no maximum amount payable in a one-year period.
Eligibility criteria: Patients with Gaucher disease and their families living in the United States who demonstrate an extraordinary financial hardship and cannot afford their insurance premiums. The program is currently accepting applications.
The NGF’s CARE+ Program offers assistance with certain out-of-pocket expenses for Gaucher disease. Eligible expenses include Gaucher-related costs not covered by insurance (not including co-pays and deductibles) such as:
- Infusion charges for enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) not covered by insurance
- Travel expenses to and from a doctor’s office or hospital for ERT ($100/month maximum)
- Over-the-counter medications prescribed for Gaucher disease ($100/month maximum)
- Travel expenses for one evaluation per year from a Gaucher specialist
- Therapies prescribed for Gaucher disease that are not covered by insurance, such as acupuncture, massage therapy and yoga ($500/month maximum)
- Emergency Services/Misc. Services such as burial costs, utility reconnect and other expenses as defined and approved by the CARE Advisory Board. Most Eligible expenses are a once per year benefit.
Eligibility criteria: Patients with Gaucher disease who live in the United States and can demonstrate an extraordinary financial hardship for eligible Gaucher-related expenses (as defined above).
Applying for Financial Assistance for the CARE Programs
To apply for the CARE Program, please complete our online application. If you wish to have a paper application sent to you, please contact Barbara Lichtenstein at (866) 346-8176. Most applications are reviewed within 2 days of submission.
To apply for the CARE+ Program, please contact Barbara Lichtenstein, Director of CARE Programs, at (866) 346-8176.